We don’t presume to define “Māori development”, but we have a strong preference for Māori-led development for Māori. Activities are likely to:
- Be ‘by Māori and for Māori’
- Have positive, practical outcomes for Māori
- Follow a kaupapa Māori approach
- Contribute to the fulfilment of Māori aspirations to live as Māori; actively participate as citizens of the world; and to enjoy good health/well-being and a high standard of living
- Ensure Māori participation in decision-making
- Provide for long-term sustainability of outcomes.